Buy Gift Certificate

Stop Smoking Program at 2bwell

It is common and normal for smokers to have both a desire to quit and a desire not to quit at the same time. This is sometimes referred to as "The Smoker's Dilemma" and is one of indulgence versus restraint. The smoker wants to indulge oneself with the pleasure and stress reduction rewards of smoking, yet lives in fear of adverse health and social consequences of smoking and dealing with the discomfort and stress of withdrawal. Giving up smoking has been described like renouncing a long term friendship, a companion ever present and appreciated who is always available when you light up. By starting the 2bwell Stop Smoking Program, you are making a grand statement that you are now ready to consider finding a new true "friend".

In this document, you will find tips and ideas about the things that you can do on your own to help ease the process of quitting. It also describe supportive treatments and supplements which we can offer you at 2bwell to aid with this transitional period in your life. These treatments and supplements are available to you in addition to the FREE program which you are participating in, at your cost.

Disclaimer
Please keep in mind that the following advice, treatments, and supplements are all in addition to (NOT to replace) the protocol you'll receive about the 2bwell Stop Smoking Program.

Steps you can take on your own:

  • Try to drink at least 3 liters of water every day for two weeks after your last cigarette.
  • Snack daily on: baby carrots, celery sticks, broccoli, raw nuts, dried fruits.
  • Take "breathing breaks" in the place of your smoking breaks. That simply means to stand outside in the fresh air and away from the smokers, take about 20 deep breaths and return back to work. This will not only refresh your energy and moods, it will also speed up your lung tissue recovery phase.
  • Consider starting a "regular" daily (or at least 3 times a week) exercise program. Enroll in classes and participate in activities like yoga or other group exercise programs. Meet and make new friends with other non-smokers and plan to limit your contact with your smoker friends, at least for the first two weeks. They will understand if they are truly your friends.
  • You can't do everything else the same and just stop smoking. You have to change and become a "non-smoker" version of yourself. Detail your car and rearrange your house and office. If not possible to do a total redecoration, just move items like the telephone, plants, lights, etc. Create a new environment for a new beginning. Consider a new haircut, change your face by shaving or growing facial hair, change your hair color, etc. And make this a permanent change by announcing to everyone your reason for the change: you are now a non-smoker.

Additional treatments and supplements you have access to at 2bwell:

Dr. Brush and Dr. Shirazi have 25 years of combined experience in their fields and have both helped many patients stop smoking. You will personally meet with them 3 times as a part of the free Stop Smoking Program. They will conduct exams and measurements related to the program and will try to help you succeed in your goal. However, they both have many additional treatments and nutritional supplements that can be used to ease the process of quitting and support your body. These are a few examples:

  • Acupuncture and Oriental medicine.
    • In addition to having a Master's degree and a Doctorate degree in the field of acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, Dr. Shirazi is also certified by National Acupuncture Detoxification Association (NADA) to treat addiction with acupuncture.
    • Ear Acupuncture.
    • Ear tacks on acupuncture points (they stay in for a few days at a time).
    • Chinese herbs and teas specifically designed to help with smoking cessation.
    • Herbal (fake) cigarettes that you can puff on, but can't light up.
  • Naturopathic Medicine. This progressive branch of medicine offers support in many
    • Flower essences: These subtle but effective remedies are individualized to address your specific mental and emotional challenges.
    • Nutritional Supplements: This approach may use supplements that support biochemical processes that occur with smoking cessation. For example, supporting detoxification, lung function and neurotransmitter levels (such as serotonin) may increase your chances for success. Some herbs also increase your aversion to cigarettes thus decrease your cravings.
    • Bowen Therapy: This gentle yet deeply-acting form of body work is incredibly relaxing and balancing, and supports whole body muscle relaxation. It may be repeated weekly as long as additional support is needed to relieve muscle aches and pains, body tension and anxiety.
    • Medications: In cases of heavy smokers, some patients find that using prescription nicotine patches, gum or other medications may improve chances for success.
  • Massage Therapy
    • We have two licensed massage therapists at 2bwell with years of experience supporting the body as its going through the detoxification process.
  • Breath-Work
    • Al Lee is a breath coach and an author who travels internationally to lecture about the benefits of breathing. He can help with the anxiety and emotional aspects of quitting.

Some interesting Stop Smoking facts:

Your lung tissue starts to change immediately after your last cigarette. Within one month you increase your oxygen intake by at least 25%. Your skin cells change immediately and within days you'll have a brighter complexion. Your cuts and scars heal twice as fast. Your liver and kidneys function 20% more efficiently after 6 months. Your lung tissue will completely repair itself in 48 months after your last cigarette. Your chance of death from lung cancer reduces by 80% 10 years after your last cigarette.

Within 20 minutes after you smoke that last cigarette, your body begins a series of changes that continue for years.

  • 20 Minutes After Quitting
    Your heart rate drops.
  • 12 hours After Quitting
    Carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.
  • 2 Weeks to 3 Months After Quitting
    Your heart attack risk begins to drop.
    Your lung function begins to improve.
  • 1 to 9 Months After Quitting
    Your coughing and shortness of breath decrease.
  • 1 Year After Quitting
    Your added risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker's.
  • 5 Years After Quitting
    Your stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker's 5-15 years after quitting.
  • 10 Years After Quitting
    Your lung cancer death rate is about half that of a smoker's.
    Your risk of cancers of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas decreases.
  • 15 Years After Quitting
    Your risk of coronary heart disease is back to that of a nonsmoker's.

Need more convincing?
Compared to smokers, your…

  • Stroke risk is reduced to that of a person who never smoked after 10 to 15 years of not smoking
  • Cancers of the mouth, throat, and esophagus and larynx are 50% less 5 years after quitting
  • Coronary heart disease risk is cut by half 1 year after quitting and is nearly the same as someone who never smoked 10 years after quitting
  • Ulcer risk drops after quitting
  • Bladder cancer risk is halved 5 years after quitting
  • Low birth weight baby risk drops to normal if you quit before pregnancy or during your first trimester

Source: The Office on Smoking and Health (OSH), a division within the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).